Re: New su behavior in util-linux 2.32

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 11:41:34AM +0200, Pétùr wrote:
> The new 'su' is useless for me because it cannot launch root program.
> I did the modification in /etc/login.defs and restore the previous
> behavior. However I am concern with the statement " Doing plain 'su'
> is a really bad idea for many reasons".
>
> Could someone explain to me why this is a bad behavior?

It's not what Red Hat does, and therefore "oooooh, we have to change to
match what Red Hat does".

Never mind the fact that it's a completely stupid, intrusive, pointless
change that breaks the behavior that has been working properly in Debian
for decades.  Who cares about things working properly, or backward
compatiblity, or common sense?  GOTTA MATCH RED HAT!

Users will be confused?  SCREW 'EM!  GOTTA MATCH RED HAT!

Scripts will break?  SCREW 'EM!  GOTTA MATCH FUCKING RED HAT!

The only reason anyone would think that "plain su is bad" is because
they had to work with Red Hat systems (or perhaps certain BSD-based
systems) where plain su behaves the way testing's su behaves, and
they got used to it.