Re: Installing package *NOT* in repository

On 08/13/2018 06:59 AM, Joe wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 06:47:02 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

PREAMBLE:
I've downloaded a .deb file.
I've recently done such an install but don't remember how.
Looking at the man pages for apt, apt-get, aptitude didn't help.
Couldn't come up with useful search term for wiki.
Eventually recalled "dpkg -i" which worked.

QUESTION:
How would someone find the answer if the answer wasn't already known?
I went thru the same sequence last time.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=install+.deb&gws_rd=ssl

First hit:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/159094/how-to-install-a-deb-file-by-dpkg-i-or-by-apt

A partial "mea culpa" ;/
I was completely focused on Debian tools and never thought of searching the whole web.

My gut feeling is still there should be a way to use Debian tools.

Thank you for your time.