Re: non-blocking stdin from bash

On Mon, 2018-08-13 at 10:13 +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
> On 13/08/18 05:57, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > Interesting.  I'm using it via a cron script like so:
> >
> > * * * * *  grep "unusual" /opt/logs/* | /opt/notify.sh `hostname`;
>
> I don't know what's in notify.sh, but it looks to me like you're
> going to get notified every minute for all the unusual log entries,
> whether you've already seen them or not?

That was just an example of what I'm doing.  In reality logtail's in
there, but it made the example line too long.

> Have you looked at logcheck or other similar existing solutions?

Yes, i use logcheck religiously, despite the absolute lack of logcheck
rules maintenance that exists in most packages not installed on a
default system (looking at you nginx, postfix, bind9, cron, clamav*,
openvpn, dovecot, opendmarc, monit, and openntpd).   I'd submit the
improvements to the appropriate maintainers, but I dislike rejection.
;-)

-Jim P.