Re: /etc/alternatives feedback for presentation

https://www.mycause.com.au/page/183259/a-smile-will-change-a-day-love-that-changed-my-world

From: Ryan Nowakowski <tubaman@fattuba.com>
Sent: Sunday, 12 August 2018 8:28 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: /etc/alternatives feedback for presentation

On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 08:08:00PM +0000, der.hans wrote:
> moin moin,
>
> I'm giving a presentation on /etc/alternatives in a few hours.
>
> If you use the alternatives system a lot and would like to spend a few
> minutes reviewing my talk for me, please see the links below.
>
> Any use cases or cool functionality that I've missed?
>
> Anything I've gotten completely wrong?
>
> Any suggestions for good examples?
>
> AsciiDoc source file:
>
> https://www.LuftHans.com/Akten/Presentations/2018/PLUG/PLUG.intro_to_etc_alternatives.2018Aug09.adoc
>
> Slidy HTML ( one-page format without _javascript_, slides with _javascript_ ):
>
> https://www.LuftHans.com/Akten/Presentations/2018/PLUG/PLUG.intro_to_etc_alternatives.2018Aug09.html

You might add more info on how the other methods interact with
update-alternatives.  For example if I set the EDITOR env var how does
that interact with update-alternatives when I run visudo?  In fact I
think something like a "best practices" is needed for setting default
programs and then overriding them on a per user basis.  I'm not sure
this presentation is the right place for that but perhaps it could be
a wiki page in the future.