Re: problem with modern desktops on Buster

https://www.mycause.com.au/page/183259/a-smile-will-change-a-day-love-that-changed-my-world

From: Gary Dale <garyndp@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 7 August 2018 5:03 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: problem with modern desktops on Buster

When I rebooted my computer (AMD64/Buster) yesterday, I couldn't get
Plasma to operate. After logging with sddm, the computer locked up hard
(wouldn't respond to SysRq or Ctl-Alt-Del) before the desktop appeared.

I switched to Gnome which seems to work a little better but I was still
getting lockups. I tried Gnome over Xorg in case it was a Wayland
problem but that also seemed to have problems. It crashed overnight and
left me with some panic text on the screen and the computer was locked
up. I couldn't get much beyond the initial desktop display when I restarted.

I've been using Gnome Flashback (Metacity) for about 5 hours now,
including a couple periods when the screen saver / lock kicked in, and
it seems OK.

I'm not even sure where to report this problem since I can't identify a
specific package that is causing it. However since Gnome Flashback seems
to be working, I'd guess that it is in the flashier desktop elements.