Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

On Friday 10 August 2018 07:24:18 zaxonxp wrote:

> rH8U]On)GIf;w1ZqdM<bq]5:vk|rbk~{T'G@!Ps!-T3UC|=bJ?6u2w"?%Q=t'~i>j$nbYY
>.Ix8o\C &
>

> auM`4jC,sl5vR&@dR!_,^'*^6+Udo[>g^ruiad#l{:lJ?&mGQ{VKGRV_nM~oBgfJm"TpFZ
>=!t0yw! $
>  UN
>
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2018 19:40:02 +0200, tech wrote:
> > The way most people keep up to date on network news is through
> > subscription to a number of mail reflectors (also known as mail
> > exploders). Mail reflectors are special electronic mailboxes which,
> > when they receive a message, resend it to a list of other mailboxes.
> > This in effect creates a discussion group on a particular topic.
> > - E. Krol; The Hitchhikers Guide to the Internet; RFC 1118; Sept.
> > 1989.
> >

> > Seem's the first "bitnic listserv" is dated from 1984 ! More than 34
> > years ago !
> >

> > Just as a reminder, we are now in 2018 ... something called the XXI
> > century ... with 4G, optical FTTH connection, smartphones ...
> >

> > Should'nt be time to move away from an old mail-listing to something
> > more modern like a bugzilla or else ???
>
> NNTP was a way to go. Sadly not many portals supports it promoting
> only web access or mail list. Personally I do not like to polute my
> mailbox with a tons of e-mails and clean them up later on. NNTP client
> does this when I want it and you can configure it the way you want it.
> What else would you need for a news groups?
>
> Regards,
> Piotr

And NNTP will never get there. Why? Its the most bandwidth hungry thing
in an ISP's closet of tools. To fully support it needs 2000 times the
bandwidth of an email server.  And bandwidth like that to the backbone
can bankrupt the ISP. Even web access to a forum wastes 90% of the
bandwidth it uses with html crap you can't read. TANSTAAFL.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)