Re: As seen above: use of su vs sudo

On 2018-08-07, Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:

> Curt (2018-08-07):
>> I thought his point might be that in typing the full path at least you
>> know you're getting '/bin/su' and not some other 'su' that a malevolent
>> individual might have created in your home directory after prepending HOME
>> to your path, for example (in that malevolent person's effort to elevate
>> himself to superuser status).=20
>
> Indeed. It protects you from semi-competent crackers. With incompetent
> ones, is is not needed, with competent ones it is useless. You judge if
> it is worth the hassle.

The hassle seems minimal, whereas the category of the semi-competent
appears to be fairly well-populated.

Of course, I'm a touch typist, so YMMV.

--
Some years ago, when the images which this world affords first opened upon me,
when I felt the cheering warmth of summer and heard the rustling of the leaves