Re: luks, crypttab: why 3 partition only 2 passphrases entered

Hi,

On Aug/02/2018, Matthew Crews wrote:
> On 8/1/18 3:47 PM, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Debian Stretch and recently I added a new cyphered partition.
> > All works well but I don't understand why and it's bothering me.
>
> *snip*
>
> > A question would be:
> > a) How to enter the passphrase only once?
> > b) When/where (scripts) and how is the passphrase stored?
>
> a) Short version:
>
> Use LVM to set up your partitions. This can be done in the installer.
> Have your overall hierarchy look like this:

I might do it another time - is that I'm more familiar (for when things
go wrong, and only because I have more experience) with usual partition
and not LVM and serve my purpose. As said, I might use LVM another time
:-)

I was asking "how to enter the passphrase only once" only to understand
why I'm entering it twice and not three times :-)

[...]

> b) Read the manpage for cryptsetup. It has everything you need to
> understand how LUKS encryption works.

When I read it and also the initrd scripts I didn't understand why I
need to type it twice only when I was expecting three times... if I need
to read again some specific section let me know. I'll have another look
just in case.

Thanks for the other information! It might be handy at some point! :-)

--
Carles Pina i Estany
	Web: http://pinux.info || Blog: http://pintant.cat