Specifying multiple NICs

I'm setting up a "just in case" replacement mailserver for my domain and my
local network.  I'm using Debian Jessie, because the latest instructions for
setting the mailserver (qmail) are written for Jessie.  The mailserver has 2
NICs (one for local network, and one for Internet).

In the past,  I referred to each NIC as eth0, eth1,..... but now, these names
are not permanent, and the designation can change on boot.  I looked at the
"Network Coinfiguration" document which didn't have a solution.  So, either how
do I make the names for the NICs permanent or what do I use fot the names of
the NICs?

Thanks,
Mark
--
If you finding the going easy, you're probably going downhill.