Re: update hell

On 01/08/18 11:11, Default User wrote:
I was going to read up on:
apt-get dist-upgrade -V -s
But then today, I was able to do a full upgrade, using:
sudo aptitude -Pvv update
sudo aptitude -Pvv safe-upgrade
sudo aptitude -Pvv full-upgrade
Finally!
Now, I'm sure using:
apt-get dist-upgrade -V -s
would have worked as well, although I thought I read somewhere that mixing
apt-get and aptitude is not a good idea.

I do not know anything about that.

Thanks again, Ben.
And, btw . . .
dpkg?
apt-get?
aptitude?
apt?

synaptic? No love for synaptic?

Would Debian please just settle on one, and stick with it?

They do different things at different levels and seem to play nicely together.

dpkg is the lowest level and manipulates files. apt-get will download them too, from various sources, and following distribution rules. apt is a friendlier higher-level command-line interface. aptitude is an ncurses frontend, good for browsing lists of packages. synaptic is like aptitude with a GTK frontend.

I only use dpkg and apt-get, but when I started with Debian, I used synaptic. I came from Red Hat / Fedora, and the only things I miss from rpm and yum are yum history (with atomic reverts) and the ability to install multiple concurrent kernel packages without the API versioning silliness of Debian (which cannot co-install both 4.17.6-2 and 4.17.8-1, for example, only one linux-image-4.17.0-1-amd64).

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director