Bug #862397 (thunar freezing) is closed, but I'm still hit. What to do?

HI all.

I run a stretch (stable) xfce desktop, and I'm regularly hit by thunar
(v1.6.11-1) freezing. I've found:

but these have been closed since (apparently) the bug is fixed in
later versions. My question is:

Given that I'm still running v1.6.11-1 (I'm on stable, right!), what's
the best/easiest/least-system-changing way to stop being hit by the
bug? I understand that "sudo apt update ; sudo apt upgrade" won't help
until buster is released, so that's off the cards. I'd love the ease
of downloading and installing a non-broken-package from backports, but
it's not there. :-( Is my *only* option really to download the source
package, apply the fix and re-compile the package myself? Is there no
easier way?

More generally, what do people "normally" do when they're hit by a bug
in a package (in a "stable" distribution) that won't receive a fix (in
that stable distribution)?

Thanks for your help.