Re: reportbug gives error

Hi,

Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> I test drove it with grub-pc the other day to
> make sure it did what I was about to tell fellow users it does. I had
> to wade thru... 550+ outstanding bugs to get to the part about...

The problem is that both GRUBs are little operating systems which are
specialized on being started by firmware and starting bigger operating
systems.

Unless they are about Debian's packaging of GRUB2, its bugs should be
reported to grub-devel mailing list rather than to Debian. As subscriber
of that list i don't see much Debian involved in GRUB2 upstream development.
(I am there because of the topic of bootable ISOs, not as contributor.)

> It was for grub-pc but appeared to fall back
> to grub2 (made sense). If they're still actively developing that
> rather than trying to bump to something newer yet that replaces ALL of
> that... it appears they might could use a little developer help there.
> *have mercy!* :D

The development situation of GRUB2 is relatively luxurious. There is at
least one developer who reacts on second request. Typically the bugs
and fix proposals are submitted by developers of operating systems or
their distros.

I am not aware of substantial plans to replace the GRand Unified Bootloader.
It might get rendered less significant on x86 and ARM by the fact that the
(U)EFI firmware is a little operating system with much the same purpose
as GRUB.

"grub-pc" and "grub-pc-bin" are binary packages made from source package
"grub2" for use with x86 BIOS firmware (in contrast to (U)EFI firmware).

Curt wrote:
> Right. I knew that actually and was making a joke that fell flatter than
> the earth before Hermannus Contractus.

The joke would have been more obvious if there had been encoded a hint
to the possibility of manually submitting bugs.

Hermannus ? ... google ... Hermann der Lahme. Not as good in guessing
as Demokrit but also not as bad as Henri Poincaré.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas