max volume not max volume

Im running Stretch and Gnome with whatever sound setup corresponds to that. I turn my volume completely up from my my DE (Gnome), however the volume doesnt actually go to its max. Running alsamixer in the terminal, initially also shows the master to be at the max, pressing F6 and choosing a different sound device (not default) shows me more controls and shows me a master slider that is not at the max level. Could someone please explain what might be happening and how to correct this?
thanks,