Re: CDROM will not play a music cd.

On 07/22/2018 04:57 PM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Bob Bernstein wrote:
The playback is jumpy, or skippy, anything but smooth and continuous.
   https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-mplayer-playing-audio-dvd-cd-using-bash-shell/
proposes option "-cache 5000":

   mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/sr0 cdda:// -cache 5000

I guess it's a real-time problem which can be solved by reading ahead.

If the problem persists, try to copy the tracks to hard disk and see
what happens if you play the resulting files.

Selected audio codec: Uncompressed PCM [pcm]
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 1411.2 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 176400->176400)
[...]
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
[...]
  That "2 bytes per sample," above, looks suspicious.
2 bytes = 16 bit. That's exactly what is prescribed for CD-DA:
   headerless PCM (i.e. uncompressed)
   44100 Hz sampling rate
   16 bits per sample
   stereo (2 channels)
   little-endian byte order
(Dunno why above "[alsa]"-line talks of 48000 Hz.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

This may or may not be off topic, but you folks seem to know something about CDs, so I'll ask: My friend has just gotten a Korean car--it's either a Hundai or a Kia, I don't remember, but it has no CD player, but it does have a USB connection, which purports to be a sound input. So the question: I would make some copies of CDs onto a flash drive, if I knew how! I would prefer to use K3b to copy the CDs; do I have to format the flash drive, and if so with what system? (I thought that flash drives come formatted with a Windows file system?) And what other questions should I be asking, which I'm too uninformed to ask? And what are the answers? BTW: I have never, in 20 years or more, ever gotten Audacity to do
anything for me, so that is out!

Thanx for any kind words and info!  --doug