Re: BTRFS and debian

On 07/14/18 02:04, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Le 14/07/2018 à 02:49, David Christensen a écrit :
# file -s /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1: BTRFS Filesystem label "po_boot", sectorsize 4096, nodesize 16384, leafsize 16384, UUID=6ff0dd1d-8d46-454b-bb35-a09afc47145a, 65490944/999292928 bytes used, 1 devices

2018-07-13 17:39:51 root@po ~
# file -s /dev/sda2
/dev/sda2: data

2018-07-13 17:39:59 root@po ~
# file -s /dev/sda3
/dev/sda3: LUKS encrypted file, ver 1 [aes, xts-plain64, sha256] UUID: 0152d2e2-4cfb-42c4-a121-6fb832962e47

The output for /dev/sda2 is not very informative (e.g. clues that it has dm-crypt, random key, and swap).

As expected. /dev/sda2 contains raw encrypted data which appear as random data. It is the purpose of encryption that one cannot see the real contents.

Okay.

Beware that unlike a UUID or LABEL, a PARTUUID or PARTLABEL is stored in the partition table, not in the partition data. Also note that a DOS partition table entry does not contain a UUID nor LABEL, and the PARTUUID is artificially built by combining the 32-bit "disk identifier" field in the MBR and the partition number. So if the partition number or the disk identifier changes, the PARTUUID changes.

In short :
- if you move the disk contents (including the partition table) to another disk, the PARTUUID is preserved ; - if you move the partition contents to another partition, the PARTUUID is not preserved.

Thanks for the warning.  My typical use-case is to move the entire system drive image between various 16+ GB devices, so PARTUUID should work.

I forgot to mention another case, although you are not concerned :

- logical partitions numbers and synthetic PARTUUIDs may change when creating or deleting another logical partition on the same disk.

Fortunately, I only need 3 partitions on my system drives. I have always used primary partitions.

Yet another reason to not use logical partitions and prefer GPT if you need more than 4 partitions.

GPT is nice; I use it when I want a 2+ TB partition (such as my backup/ archive/ image drives). But I have several older computers, so I prefer solutions that work with BIOS/MBR.

David