Re: No sound/audio

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 2:31 AM, <70147persson@telia.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I get no sound. After reinstalling Stretch a couple of months ago, the computer is silent.

May be completely unrelated...

Since upgrading to the 4.16.16-2 kernel, anytime I reboot my PC I boot into a soundless environment, with my sound system reporting my sound device as the "Dummy Sound Device" (or something similar). I can "sudo kill [timidity's PID]", and that's restores my sound.

As I understand it, Timidity is taking exclusive hold of some audio file (/dev/sound ?) early in the boot process which prevents other apps (Pulse, ALSA, etc) from using that file.

FWIW.

--
Kent West                    <")))><