Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

On Tuesday 10 July 2018 10:09:04 Dan Ritter wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 09, 2018 at 11:38:41PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:

> > > You can use it as a printer. As far as I know there is no such
> > > thing as a "postscript scanner".
> >
> > Well, the original question (see subject line) was about all-in-one
> > printers, which implies more than just printing. It would be sad to
> > see the point of the question lost in all the back and forth.
> >
> > > The Brother all-in-ones tend to have "scan-to-network" abilities,
> > > though, and that doesn't require a driver -- just an internal
> > > FTP or SAMBA server to receive the files. My workplace has a
> > > bunch of these. Walk up, select Scan, select Network, and put
> > > your document(s) in. You get PDFs or TIFFs in your filesystem.
> >
> > That's more of a document scan feature, not so great for scanning
> > tasks where you want more control.
>
> Yes. The all-in-ones are terrible at that, proprietary software
> or not.
>
> -dsr-

In the case of the Brother AIO's not so, mine can do an xsane controlled
scan in single sheet load mode any size and location on an 11x17 glass.
It also has a document feeder but xsane does not do duplex except as
single images. In the case of my MFC-J6920DW, I don't believe the scan
mechanism can turn the page over but once, which it does by default as
the ADF works. But you can pick the page up from the output table, and
without turning it over, place it back on the input ramp, as it actually
scans the top of the sheet as its fed thru, becoming the bottom on the
output table. Typical of the ADF's, the scanner head remains fixed but
the paper is pulled across it.

One thing I might point out is that when driven from an ethernet port,
there is always a 7 second lag between the access transmission to it,
and its actually waking up to respond. This is caused by a bad checksum
of the first 6 commands sent at 1 second intervals, but then the driver
sends good stuff, ANAICT, till the end of that job.  Verified by
wireshark watching the net traffic. Why the bad tcp checksum, I haven't
a clue, but except for the wakeup delay, it just works. Presumably not a
problem with a usb drive, but the location of the usb plug within the
housing precludes access with a recommended maximum usb cable length of
5 feet, unless you put a hub within 15 inches or so of the MFC, the rest
of the cable is in the machine, useing up the majority of the cables max
length in the circuitous path inside the machine.

Would I buy another Brother? Yes.
--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)