Re: ifconfig/ ifupdown/ ip -

On Mon, Jul 09, 2018 at 08:08:46AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2018 at 11:52:36AM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > So I change between two internet connections from time to time.
> >
> > I use /etc/network/interfaces ("/e/n/i")
> >
> > When I modify /e/n/i , I then run a little "reset" script, like so:
> >
> > dev=eth0
> > ifdown $dev
> > ifconfig $dev down
> > ifup $dev
>
> Perhaps, just perhaps you should be doing "ifdown $dev" *before*
> editing your e/n/i: ifdown may get confused finding parameters
> there corresponding to the future, not to the current connections.
>
> I use ifupdown myself and have hit few problems so far by doing
> changes after doing the ifdown (and before the ifup, of course :)

Ah yes, that could be possible. I shall investigate.

Re wicd - I want to maintain control by static configuration (in
/e/n/i), and absolutely minimise auto-configuration.

For example, when I need to test (or use as a one-shot) DHCP, I
ifdown $eth then:

dhclient -d $eth

(-d keeps it in the foreground, and logs are splendiforously
displayed in real time, in the tty I start it from).