Re: Editing a piped in stream?

On 7/8/2018 3:38 AM, John Crawley wrote:
On 2018-07-08 04:35, David Christensen wrote:
On 07/07/18 01:51, John Crawley wrote:
On 2018-07-07 11:02, David Christensen wrote:
On 07/06/18 09:17, Richard Owlett wrote:
While working on a problem {solved by a different approach} I had:
    ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/ | cut -f 10,12 -d ' ' data.txt
I would then manually edit data.txt by replacing the space character between the two fields with a tab.
I suspect I should be able to do:
    ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/ | cut -f 10,12 -d ' ' | *something* > prettydata.txt

Ideal would be a more focussed way of reading out the disk info, perhaps something with blkid or lsblk?

I don't follow.  blkid(8) and lsblk(8) would be ideal for what purpose? Using what metric?

I meant that there might be a utility that would output the disk info directly, avoiding the need to do any post-processing with cut, sed, awk and friends, and suggested blkid and lsblk as possible candidates.

Just a suggestion I threw out for those with the time and motivation to plough though the man pages.

The issue here is that we don't know what the OP wants (original and desired output)!!! :)

There is probably a better solution that  the one of using multiples pipes.

--
John Doe