firmware-nonfree hasn't been uploaded in a while

I've had issues with some hardware on my Lenovo X1 notebook, particularly with Bluetooth, but when I investigated I found that there are old reported bugs for exactly these issues on the BTS and fixes implemented in the git repository of firmware-nonfree some time ago.

Despite this the package hasn't seen an upload to unstable since August last year so the fixes are still pending. Is there a reason why it doesn't get uploaded very frequently? A year seems like a long time between firmware updates, and the pending diff is quite long: https://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/vcswatch?package=firmware-nonfree

Not knowing much about kernel development I'm not really sure how to work around the missing firmware versions (or even to build firmware-nonfree from git) safely otherwise.

Cheers,
Carl