Re: Debian testing - release number

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 3:16 PM Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 02:57:03PM -0500, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> > So surely there is an
> > "approved" tool for doing that. Hopefully OTHER THAN
> > apt, aptitude, synaptic or apt-get; ideally simpler and easier to
> > script than that.
> > So what is that tool?
>
> #!/bin/bash
> if [[ ! -r /etc/debian_version ]]; then
> esac

Which illustrates the exact problem in this situation: There is no such tool.
See what you did?
(1) You foolishly relied on the value in /etc/debian_version when
you already know that it isn't the right, canonical value. Because it won't work
on certain debian releases.
(2) I didn't ask for a script, I asked for a pre-existing tool. You demonstrated
that there is no such tool other than /etc/debian_version.

So.... ;-) Once again, what is the one single, concise tool that tells me which
debian version I'm running...... :-)