Re: sqlite database

On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 14:02:31 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon 02 Jul 2018 at 19:50:35 (+0200), deloptes wrote:
> > David Wright wrote:
> >
> > > Well, it's always difficult to know what the OP¹ is really after.
> > > The ?first time this came up (17 months ago), "minimal" was in
> > > the subject line, sqlite was looked at favourably, but the fact
> > > that it had a web interface was seen as a downer, perhaps because
> > > the word "web" appeared to contradict "no networking".
> >
> > But sqlite does have only CLI interface - the rest is not
> > mandatory.
>
> I agree, and the OP¹ has frequently said that CLIs are ok.
> But the OP¹ voraciously consults HOWTOs, and said:
>
> "Many presume a WEB-SERVER is involved."
>
> I don't know what others glean from this, but to me it sounds as if
> the mention of "web" taints the software somehow, perhaps
> subconciously.

Rightly so. If you don't currently run a web server, then needing to do
so just to administer an unrelated application would seem illogical,
not to mention annoying.

Today, the vast majority of database applications also involve a web
server, so there's usually no extra overhead in using it for database
administration. But that's not true for everyone.

And if you have an application for a database management system of some
kind, then that application itself is surely the main method of
manipulating the DBMS. You need very little extra administration,
particularly in Debian where databases, users and privileges are
generally set up automagically. This is why I'm not particularly fluent
with the mariadb command line: I might use it two or three times a
year, and I always have to read up on it again when I do.

--
Joe