Re: sqlite database

On Mon 02 Jul 2018 at 18:45:31 (+0100), Joe wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 12:05:25 -0500
> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Mon 02 Jul 2018 at 10:20:00 (+0100), Joe wrote:

> > > Not if you're trying to learn client-server databases.
> >
> > Well, it's always difficult to know what the OP¹ is really after. The
> > ?first time this came up (17 months ago), "minimal" was in the subject
> > line, sqlite was looked at favourably, but the fact that it had a web
> > interface was seen as a downer, perhaps because the word "web"
> > appeared to contradict "no networking".
>
> There is a program called sqlitebrowser, which does not obviously use a
> web interface. Difficult to say, as I wanted to use it recently but it
> is currently uninstallable on [my] sid. I believe I've used it in the
> distant past. I had a data issue with Calibre, which used sqlite then
> and probably still does.
>
> I understood the recent web reference to be concerning mariadb, and
> hence phpmyadmin or adminer.

I'm making no criticism of that. I'm merely recalling the intervening
threads from OP¹ and wondering whether mariadb was chosen or stumbled
upon by avoiding anything that was associated with certain "trigger"
words like "web interface".

> But both sqlite and mariadb/MySQL can be
> driven by command, and no seasoned database admin (I'm not) would dream
> of using anything as wimpy as a GUI DB manager. Hand-hacked perl would
> be more likely...

I don't think that OP¹ falls into that category.

> > Whether a client-server model is now required depends on how one
> > interprets https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2018/06/msg00757.html
> >
> >  "The [HOWTOs] I find are written assuming things that are never
> >  identified or use some distro specific hack. Many presume a
> >  WEB-SERVER is involved. I understand that MySQL's definition of
> >  server is somehow different."
> >
> > Again, that word "web" seems to be perceived as a problem. Now I would
> > hate to prejudge the OP¹'s desires in terms of *learning*, but using
> > their own expressed situation as a guide (the courses):
> >
> > . no networking,
> > . single user (so likely no simultaneous writes),
> > . no evidence of big (TB) data,
> >
> > most software selectors would choose sqlite as more appropriate than
> > a client-server database system (the horses).

> > It did occur to me while writing this that the OP¹ has asked here
> > about PDAs running Debian for data collection, and about transferring
> > files between devices by using their USB ports. If the use case is the
> > accumulation of said data, I don't see any pressing need for a
> > client-server model, do you?
> >
> > ¹ OP of the thread I referred to.
>
> No, but he has frequently expressed a desire for education, and his
> recent correspondence was explicitly about mariadb.

Apologies for thinking outside the box. I still stand by my
"perfect fit" statement. Perhaps we shall see counter-examples.

Cheers,
David.