Re: Terminal Color-Coding

On Sun, 1 Jul 2018, davidson wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2018, Josh W. wrote:

Hi, I was working in my Terminal cleaning up my files and folders when i
needed a second terminal. When i opened it up the Color-Coding that was
visible in my current terminal, was plain grey and black. I restart my
computer hoping that it would be a quick fix, but no luck. So i tried
tuning the setting, and that was a bust as well. I restart my Computer and
it remains the same, the color coding is gone. I remember a while back
there was a way to set the color coding, say i was running as root and
wanted to have the Coding running so i could tell directories form
executable and such. Could anybody help w/ this?? It would be greatly
appreciated!

Joshua <joshw8104@gmail.com>

I am curious whether you "cleaned up" your ~/.bashrc file.

What is the output for this?

$ cat ~/.bashrc

In case you don't have a ~/.bashrc any more (due to overly thorough
cleaning), one of the first symptoms you might notice is the loss of
the pretty dircolors in ls output.

So. If in fact you get this sad result...

 $ cat ~/.bashrc
 cat: .bashrc: No such file or directory

... then it is easy to fix. Just copy a new ~/.bashrc file into your
home directory from /etc/skel, like so:

 $ cp -n /etc/skel/.bashrc ~/

Either way, do keep us informed of your progress, or lack thereof.

Good luck.