Re: Is apt-get dist-upgrade worth the hassle?

Charlie Gibbs composed on 2018-07-01 13:17 (UTC-0700):

> After this experience, I'm gun-shy about upgrading a system in place.

I work mostly with limited space / filesystems, and I do dist-upgrades more
often than fresh installs. There are places other than apt's cache that can
gobble considerable space for no useful purpose.

If you have persistent systemd logging enabled, /var/log/journal/*/ may be
wasting considerable space accumlating antique logs. Logging generally may be
accumulating waste if logrotate isn't enabled.

Sometimes wasteful old icon caches can be found in /usr/tmp/ or /var/cache/.

If your current kernel works, you don't need older versions and initrds
consuming / space.

If /home isn't a separate filesystem, then browser and other caches can be
purged to make freespace, as can emptying DE trash.

Packages you don't actually use can be purged. Even packages you use can be
purged, then reinstalled after the dist-upgrade.

If space is still a problem after thorough cleaning, specific (large) parts of
the existing installation can be upgraded, one package or package group at a
time if necessary, such as libreoffice, firmware packages, Samba, KDE or Gnome,
followed by dist-upgrade for the balance.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/