Re: gathering trace rute output to a file?

On Sun, 1 Jul 2018, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:

On 01/07/18 15:45, Karen Lewellen wrote:
Hi folks,
when running tracerute, is there an option that exports the results to a file that can be shared?
Thanks,
Karen

Can you use shell redirection? In bash:

traceroute host &>logfile

In other Bourne shells:

traceroute host >logfile 2>&1

These commands redirect both standard output and standard error to
logfile.  It is also possible to redirect them separately. See a
shell guide for details.

There are some bad guides out there, last I looked.

If you are using the bash shell, here are some I can recommend.

From the horse's mouth:

 Bash Reference Manual
 http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html

The part specifically about redirection:

 http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html#Redirections

Also recommended (somewhat more discursive, maybe friendlier):

 BashGuide - Greg's Wiki
 http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide

On redirection:

 BashGuide/InputAndOutput - Greg's Wiki