Re: trouble installing deb 9.4

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 19:52:32 +0200
Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

> > On Monday 18 June 2018 10:42:22 Patrick Bartek wrote:
> [snip]
>
> >> You can't mix UEFI and MBR.  It's either one or the other.
>
> Actually you can. The Debian installer can boot either in legacy BIOS
> or native EFI mode. So does a Debian system when installed properly.

Good to know there's been progress.  Last time I researched this
option when installing Wheezy (5 years ago) on a multi-boot set up that
was all MBR, it was not recommended to mix-n-match. I had Windows XP as
one of the OSes, too.

That system is still alive and well though the hardware has been
upgraded numerous times, and only holds two OSes now -- Wheezy and
Stretch, it's still MBR  It was juat easier to install Stretch that
way even though I chainload it off Wheezy's grub. (I prefer to keep OS
grubs separate.) Plus, I had no real need of the features that UEFI
offers. KISS -- Keep It Simple, Stupid.

FWIW: I run old XP in a VM now.  Actually, it performs better than
running it natively.