Re: USB "null modem" cables and related Linux driver questions

On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 02:16:47PM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
USB-Ethernet dongles would be a lot more useful in the long term than USB-Serial dongles.

*WHO* said anything about a "USB-Serial dongle"?
I want a USB-USB object. Subtle, but important, distinction.

Well, you started out talking about RS232 and null modem cables, so don't be surprised if people are having trouble figuring out what you're asking for. Then you asked for better ideas. Then you got mad about all the ideas and started laughing hysterically. I have no idea what you actually want at this point.

RS-232 had a really good 40 year run, but for general communications it was mostly obsolete nearly 20 years ago. You mentioned file transfers-

So what?
I get grief for not mentioning immediate goals.
I casually mention a potential use and get *UNIVERSAL ADVICE*:
   Don't do that. <ROFL>!

So you can't articulate what you're trying to do at all? That will certainly reduce the odds of getting helpful advice.

It seems like you want to connect two computers via USB "just because". Good luck with that.

Mike Stone