Re: USB "null modem" cables and related Linux driver questions

On Thu 31 May 2018 at 09:21:27 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> I have two computers with USB ports.
> I wish them to communicate as simply as mid-20th-century computers did.
> Then we used RS232-C with a null modem &/or  appropriate software
> software at both ends.

I remember soldering these cables together. It always seemed crazy to
be paying as much for a cable as a floppy drive.

> The underlying problem is that both ends egotistically expect to be
> *MASTER*.
>
> The hardware problem is solvable [e.g.
> http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBtoUSB.htm].

https://shop.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop/ftdichip?op=catalogue-products-null&prodCategoryID=354&title=Null+Modem+Cables
(thanks for your link) gives an idea of the price, and in this case I
can see some justification for it because they describe the
electronics hidden inside the plugs (we hope).

But considering that two NICs cost less than that cable, I'd need a
pressing reason to purchase the cable instead.

> The software is another case :<
> The best Linux specific link I've found is dated September 2005
> [http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/]
>
> I've done DuckDuckGo searches for permutations/combinations of
>   usb, "peer to peer", lan, and bridge.
> Most is Windows/Mac centric.
> There were hints that needed drivers may exist in current Linux core.
>
> Pointers to good references and/or better search terms?

"ppp over usb" gave me http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/
which might be what you want. I notice that such a module is
in the production kernels.

Cheers,
David.