Re: rsync error -- "Protocol incompatibility" Why?

On 2018-05-28 at 09:08, David wrote:

> On 28 May 2018 at 22:47, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
>
>> But that raises another question.
>> Why does error message identify a protocol problem after having correctly
>> identified the problem as "No such file or directory".
>
> man rsync says:
> "EXIT VALUES
>        0      Success
>        1      Syntax or usage error
>        2      Protocol incompatibility
> [etc]
> "
>
> An *exit value* (aka exit status) is an entirely
> different concept to an "error number".
>
> Exit status is partially explained here:
> http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide/TestsAndConditionals?highlight=%28exit%29%7C%28status%29#Exit_Status
>
> The exit status = 2 mentioned in the man page has nothing
> to do with the 2 in the error message
> "rsync: change_dir "/media/root/drescued_commo" failed: No such file
> or directory (2)"
>
> The 2 in that message is a reference to errors reported by the standard
> library of the C programming language, as explained here:
> https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-errnovariable/index.html

For additional reference, when I reproduced the error locally, the exit
code (as reported by 'echo $?', run immediately after the rsync command)
was 23.

The rsync man page documents exit value 23 as being "Partial transfer
due to error", which is perfectly consistent with the behavior at hand.

(In my case the "partial" transfer consisted of transferring zero files,
out of a total of one file requested, but the principle is the same.)

--
   The Wanderer