Re: synaptic install of initramfs-tools fails

On Sat 26 May 2018 at 21:55:49 (-0500), Charles Zeitler wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 6:53 PM, Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz> wrote:
> > On 27/05/18 11:10, Charles Zeitler wrote:
> >>
> >> when trying to install initramfs-tools, synaptic froze part way through.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >> still freezing:
> >>
> >> W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168d-1.fw for
> >> module r8169
> >> any suggestions?
> >

> > What do you mean by freezing?
>
> stopped producing output before finishing
>
> >Does "apt-get install -f" complete?
>
> nope:
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure
> -a' to correct the problem.
>
> trying to open synaptic gives the same message- E:dpkg was interrupted.....
>
> > You should be able to fix the firmware warnings by installing
> > firmware-realtek from non-free.

Are the files /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168g-3.fw etc present on your
system? I don't think you've said. There should be about 20 files in
that directory.

If not, is the package firmware-realtek installed?

Also, what was reported when you ran the suggested command?
# sudo dpkg --configure -a

Cheers,
David.