Re: reportbug - debian SMTP HELO forged

On Thu, 24 May 2018, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:

> On 24/05/18 12:40, bw wrote:
> > Okay, I must have something misconfigured.  I could have sworn it worked
> > a few months ago.
> > $ reportbug -k menu
> > *** Welcome to reportbug.  Use ? for help at prompts. ***
> > Note: bug reports are publicly archived (including the email address of
> > the submitter).
> > Detected character set: UTF-8
> > Please change your locale if this is incorrect.
> > Using 'b17 <bwtnguy@yahoo.com>' as your from address.
> > Getting status for menu...
> > Will send report to Debian (per lsb_release).
> > Maintainer for menu is 'Bill Allombert <ballombe@debian.org>'.
> > Rewriting subject to 'menu: Thanks for packaging menu!'
> > Spawning sensible-editor...
> > No changes were made in the editor.
> > Message will be sent to menu@packages.debian.org
> > Send this message (e to edit) [y|n|a|c|E|i|l|m|p|q|d|t|s|?]? y
> > Report is unchanged. Edit this report or quit [E|q|s|?]? s
> > Sending empty report anyway...
> > Saving a backup of the report at
> > /tmp/reportbug-menu-backup-20180523-14318-dcelk7kd
> > Connecting to packages.debian.org via SMTP...
> > SMTP send failure: {'menu@packages.debian.org': (550, b'HELO mismatch
> > Forged
> > HELO for ([127.0.0.1])')}. Do you want to retry (or else save the report
> > and
> > exit)? [Y|n|q|?]?
>
> I send mail via my mail hosting provider's MTA to ensure HELO matches.
>
> This is my ~/.reportbugrc, rewritten to use your address and the Yahoo SMTP
> server. You can also try port 465 if this does not work:
>
> mode standard
> ui gtk2
> email "bwtnguy@yahoo.com"
> realname "bw"
> no-cc
> header "X-Debbugs-CC: bwtnguy@yahoo.com"
> smtphost "smtp.mail.yahoo.com:587"
> smtptls
> smtpuser "bwtnguy@yahoo.com"
> smtppasswd "YOUR_YAHOO_PASSWORD_GOES_HERE"
>
> For more information on these options:
>
> less /etc/reportbug.conf
> man reportbug.conf
>
> Kind regards,
>
> --
> Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
> Director
> Transient Software Limited <https://transient.nz/>
> New Zealand

Thanks, I should have included the config, which was setup with
$ reportbug --configure

I chose novice and hit the enter key for defaults.  I didn't find any
documentation to show what has changed.  Do you know if  debian SMTP is
now not supported on reportbug?  Thanks.

/home/b17/.reportbugrc
# reportbug preferences file
# character encoding: UTF-8
# Version of reportbug this preferences file was written by
reportbug_version "7.1.7"
# default operating mode: one of: novice, standard, advanced, expert
mode novice
# default user interface
ui text
# offline setting - comment out to be online
#offline
# name and email setting (if non-default)
# realname "b17"
email "bwtnguy@yahoo.com"
# Disable fallback mode by commenting out the following:
no-cc
header "X-Debbugs-CC: bwtnguy@yahoo.com"
smtphost reportbug.debian.org
# You can add other settings after this line.  See
# /etc/reportbug.conf for a full listing of options.