Re: Encrypted containers & the Debian installer.

Le 16/05/2018 à 08:05, Diagonal Arg a écrit :
On my first tries with the Debian installer, I am struggling with the limited resources for installing to encrypted disks.  I am using the same technique I have used with Ubuntu, but failing at the last step:

I create my luks disk(s) before-hand, then run the installer.  I find I have to anna-install cryptsetup-udeb, as there is no such choice in "Load Installer Modules".  Dropping to a shell, opening the disk, and  re-detecting hard drives allows me to carry out the installation (as long as there's a filesystem in the mapped device), but on reboot I'm at an initramfs without cryptsetup.  So I use a debian-live to pivot into the system to create a crypttab.  I find I also have to install cryptsetup.  Then I run update-initramfs.  Here is where I'm stuck.  The new initramfs still does not include cryptsetup.  Why is it not recognizing the crypttab?

I have tried other approaches eg, during installation doing adding an apt-install cryptsetup (after "Select and Install Software") and then editing crypttab, but to no avail.

/D

PS.  I pivot like this, in case I'm missing something:

mount root & boot devices in /target
for f in dev dev/pts sys proc; do sudo mount -B /$f /target/$f; done
chroot /target

Hello,

In the file “/etc/cryptsetup-initramfs/conf-hook”, there is a line “CRYPTSETUP” which is commented and/or has the default value “n”. If this is the case, replace the line with “CRYPTSETUP=y”. So, the next use of the command “update-initramfs” should solve your problem if I understood it correctly.

I think “CRYPTSETUP=y” is automatically set if you create an encrypted partition by following the installer’s instructions, but not when you do it outside these instructions.