Re: setting up a drive automount in systemd?

On Wed, 16 May 2018 12:25:22 -0400
dep <dep@drippingwithirony.com> wrote:

> greetings.
>
> i've tried my best to search the list archives for the answer to this
> and have not gotten the search function to deliver . . . anything.
>
> here's the issue. i have one of the new "gemini" devices, a
> psion-like smartphone-pda-computer that runs android and linux. i'm
> of course running linux. the linux available for it is a derivative
> of stretch arm64. it uses systemd, my first encounter with that
> not-universally-loved arrangement.
>
> the device has 64gb of onboard storage and a microSD slot, in which
> i've placed a 128gb microSD card formatted ext4. to reduce write wear
> on the device's internal memory, it's my hope to put /home or at
> least /[users] on the microSD card. this of course requires mounting
> it at boot.
>
> i've been much of a week searching and i cannot find any way to
> configure this to automount in systemd. i do not even know if under
> systemd it must be mounted to a mountpoint or if it's handled at
> the /dev level. so what was once a trivial configuration has become a
> more complicated one, with the possibility of bricking the device --
> which i'd just as soon not do.
>
> can anyone here either give or point to clear and i hope simple
> instructions for configuring the card to mount at boot? alternately,
> is there systemd-friendly disk management software? the disk managers
> i'm familiar with do not seem to work with systemd.

Not what you want, but related, possibly it will help to make sense
of other documentation. I have network drives set to automount on first
use. Here is a typical /etc/fstab line:

//<server>/Media	/mnt/<server>/Media cifs
noauto,x-systemd.automount,user,guest,noperm,dir_mode=0x777,file_mode=0x777,vers=1.0,rw

Note that without the 'noauto' it *will* automount on boot, which is
not what you normally want for network or removable drives, given that
the boot will hang if the drive is not found. I believe 'nofail'
instead would also prevent a boot hang, but I also don't want a dozen
possibly delayed mount processes holding up boot, I'm prepared to wait
until I need them. Note that most of the parameters are relevant to
cifs/samba mounts.

With no /etc/fstab entry, a removable drive when plugged in will by
default automount on first use. I don't recall that any manual
configuration was necessary for that to happen.

--
Joe