Re: SUCCESS!!!! - was {Re: Backup problem using "cp"}

On Friday 11 May 2018 11:28:08 Curt wrote:

> On 2018-05-11, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Thanks for keeping things interesting & fun with your (sometimes
> >> whimsical ;-) enquiries.
> >
> > I don't recall being whimsical.
> > Weird. Possibly. Been told that for >70 years ;}
>
> Yeah. And one man's fun and interesting is another man's so narrow and
> exiguous a corner case no one but Owlett himself could possibly fit
> into it.

But he is not quite alone in his corner. I was about 8 years old when I
asked my uncle, who made his beer money fixing the "all American" 5 tube
radios of the day (this was about 1942) what was wrong with the waxed
paper sealed electrolytic capacitor he had just changed. He didn't know
but pulled a cabinet door open that had a hand written menu on it
titled;
IF
and one  of the lines said "it hums, change the filter caps." But that
didn't tell me why and I was full of why's.

So on my mothers (she had the distinction of being the only girl in the
1929 class on aviation technology at Des Moines Tech High School, and if
she didn't know the answer to my questions, she did know where the
library was) next trip to town, she hit the library and brought home a
couple books that were state of the art in 1942, about high school
physics. One chapter was on capacitance and how it was made. So on our
next Sunday trip to Des Moines, I blew my uncle away by telling him what
was wrong with those capacitors. That of course got me introduced to his
collection of sci-fi books. And generated a lifelong passion for things
technical.

With an 8th grade education, I have made my living in some field of
electronics since I was 13, and retired from a tv station in June 2002
as the Chief Engineer, a chair I didn't spend a lot of time in but had
it for 18 years. Nothing went out of the building to be repaired during
my tenure unless the maker refused to supply parts or docs. Even Fuji
had to learn they weren't the only magicians who could repair their
$7800 tv zoom lenses. Now I'm 83, and still putzing with this stuff,
with 4 metal carving machines that I converted to be cnc controlled.

I suspect, if we could get Richard to talk, that he too was a nerd before
the word was invented. Maybe, but he got a later start...

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)