Re: Running of rrequested tests - [was Re: Backup problem using "cp"]

On 2018-05-09 at 08:28, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 05/08/2018 09:39 PM, The Wanderer wrote:

>> If you haven't already, I'd recommend trying 'rm -r', *very*
>> carefully, from a command prompt. (Unless you have an extremely
>> unusual setup, that should avoid any possibility of an intermediary
>> "Trash" to need emptying.)
>>
>> Do you have mlocate installed on your system? If so, the output of
>>
>> locate 'grub2 problem-2018-02-13'

<snip>

>> might be informative; if it finds a copy of the directory
>> somewhere else, that might tell us where it's being restored from,
>> if it is indeed being restored.
>
> I'll try this afternoon or tomorrow. I'll read documentation for "rm"
> first and use it to purge what I know I'm not interested in. Then
> re-run "locate". I'll wait until I know that I don't have to preserve
> the machine' current state.

Note that 'locate' doesn't update instantly; it draws from an index,
which is normally updated by a cron job, on a nightly basis or so.

If you want it to update its index right away without waiting, you need
to run 'updatedb'. IIRC that might need to be done as root (or with
similar levels of access to /var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db), though I
haven't checked lately.

--
   The Wanderer