Re: can't boot a Debian on QEMU-mips virtual machine, could be initrd or root device problems

	Hi.

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 06:58:13PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i wrote:
> > > Shouldn't there be a bootloader installed in debian_mips32b.img ?
>
> Reco wrote:
> > No. One of the oddities of QEMU's malta that nobody was able to write a
> > working bootloader for it. OP is doing it the only way that's possible.
>
> And he has luck to already have found somebody who has seen a MIPS
> more recently than 20 years ago.
>
> Would my idea to install from ISO work at all ?
> (I have a debian-7.4.0-mips-netinst.iso but feel not really in the mood
>  for trying what would happen.)

$ qemu-system-mips -m 2048 -nographic -cdrom /tmp/debian-7.4.0-mips-netinst.iso -boot d
qemu-system-mips: Could not load MIPS bios 'mips_bios.bin', and no -kernel argument was specified

Of course if you happen to have that magic mips_bios.bin lying around -
it may even boot. Or not. Even the installation guide mentions TFTP as a
preferred way to install Debian on MIPS.

Also, that 'iso' is no way a conventional ISO9660 or UDF image:

$ file -sL /tmp/debian-7.4.0-mips-netinst.iso
/tmp/debian-7.4.0-mips-netinst.iso: SGI disk label (volume header)

[1] https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/mipsel/ch02s01.html.en

Reco