Re: Inexplicable memory usage after move to Debian9

On sex, 27 abr 2018, Simon Beirnaert wrote:
The bottom line for me is that I when I shut down everything I install
and manage on the system, it's still conuming about half a gig more
than a system running the exact same base image right after use, without
the extra memory being accounted for by monitoring tools.

How are you determining what you call "consumed memory"?

Keep in mind that the kernel will by default use almost all free memory (not actually used by processes and libraries) as cache space, because it makes no sense to leave memory just laying around. However, once it's really needed, the caches will be dropped. Thus "free" memory is usually reported as low. Compare with "available" memory as reported by free.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br