Re: (solved)Re: how to use boot.img.gz

On Tue 24 Apr 2018 at 09:37:05 +0000, Long Wind wrote:

>  Thank Thomas Schmitt!
> I can't use the file for that purpose.I will try other methods.
>

>     On Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 5:16:13 PM GMT+8, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

[Good explanation snipped]

> But why build a new ISO when you already have downloaded a good one ?

I don't think Thomas Schmitt was quite saying you cannot boot from USB
using boot.img.gz but querying why you should want to. Isohybrid images
were introduced to Debian in 2011. Prior to that, boot.img.gz was one
method to boot a netinst image from USB on a machine which did not have
a CD drive (say). There is no call for this method unless an isohybrid
image is not available or it doesn't work.

You really should say what you are trying to achieve.

--
Brian.