Re: A Question about a supposedly missing file

On 04/22/2018 07:20 AM, Roberto C. S�nchez wrote:
On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 06:23:57AM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
On 04/21/2018 04:22 PM, Roberto C. S�nchez wrote:
On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 12:46:37PM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
I have installed a GUI for some of my modeling programs
(http://www.quimica.urv.cat/~pujadas/BDT) on my Debian Stretch platform.

While there were no warning or error messages during the installation when I
attempt execution I get the following:

comp@AbNormal:~/Apps/BDT$ ./bdt
/usr/local/gromacs/lib:/opt/mopac
./bdt.exec: error while loading shared libraries: libtcl8.4.so.0: cannot
comp@AbNormal:~/Apps/BDT$

The supposedly missing file is in /home/comp/Apps/BDT/tools/tcl-tk8.4/lib.
How do I go about solving this problem?

I'll bet that bdt is a shell script and it does some trickery with
setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Can you post the contents of bdt (assuming it
is a shell script and not too long)? Further, I suspect that bdt.exec is
the actual binary. If that is the case, can you post the output of
`ldd ./bdt.exec`?

Since tcl8.4 was last available in jessie [0], you most likely have an
incomplete application distribution. Or it depends on you installing
tcl8.4 from system packages and you will need to grab a jessie package
and install it on your system, or possibly rebuild it (in case the
dependencies don't work out exactly correct).

Regards,

-Roberto

[0] https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=jessie&searchon=contents&keywords=libtcl8.4.so.0

Thanks for your reply.  The file is:

  #!/bin/sh

BDT=$PWD
export BDT
TOOLS=$BDT/tools
PATH=$BDT:$TOOLS:$PATH

if [ `whereis wish | wc -w` -eq 1 ]
then
     echo "You do not have TCL-TK installed"
     echo "The BDT-installation of TCL-TK will be used"

     TCLTK=$TOOLS/tcl-tk8.4

     PATH=$TCLTK:$PATH

     # FOR general UNIX
     LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$TCLTK:$TCLTK/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
     export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     # FOR tcl-tk libraries
     TCL_LIBRARY=$TCLTK/lib/tcl8.4
     TK_LIBRARY=$TCLTK/lib/tk8.4
     export TCL_LIBRARY TK_LIBRARY
fi
echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

#./bdt.tcl
./bdt.exec

It appears that my supposition was correct. You will need to find a way
to obtain, build, or install tcl8.4 for your system. Aside from the
possibilities I mentioned in my initial reply, you could set up a jessie
chroot, which would have tcl8.4 available as a standard package, and run
your application from within that.

Regards,

-Roberto
Think you for the ingormstion, but, as I pointed out in my origional email, the necessary versions of tcl-tk are in

/home/comp/Apps/BDT/tools/tcl-tk8.4/lib

How do I use them?

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.