Re: encryption

On Sat 21 Apr 2018 at 13:54:03 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> On Sat 21 Apr 2018 at 19:14:06 (+0100), Brian wrote:

> > > If you   cat /usr/local/bin/myscript   do you see your important
> > > password on the screen?
> >
> > With the unencrypted file - yes. With the encrypted file -no.

> > > If so, then won't the password be revealed by ps while eval is
> > > evaluating it?
> >
> > I do not know the most efficacious way to see the ps output in real time
> > as eval runs. With a bit of trial and error (scrypt is slow enough to
> > switch to another console and use ps) I captured
> >
> > 23266 pts/7    R+     0:00 mpw -q -F     -M                                       -t     railcard
> >
> > in its output. mpw is the basic command executed by myscript. Switches
> > are shown but not parameters. -M is the very important one. The gap
> > would be occupied by the passphrase.
> >
> > Is it possible that ps output does not show parameters to switches?
>
> Not AFAIK. Here, I can see lines in the list such as:

Then I do not understand why paramters are not shown. Maybe they come
later in the output? I can forsee a few sleepness nights trying to
figure this out. :)

At this juncture it appears I should have no worries about ps revealing
the secret.

>  1247 ?    Ss 0:00 wpa_supplicant -B -i wlp2s0 -c /var/lib/wicd/configurations/44xxfcxxxxxx -Dwext
>  1706 tty1 S  0:00 xterm -geometry 110x38+0+0 -fn neep-iso10646-1-18 -xrm *Page: 3 1
>
> As you can see, I've mangled the MAC of my router that would be revealed otherwise.
>
> And I wouldn't like to rely on winning a race with ps to avoid capture
> of information exposed in my command lines.

I am not after winning any races but (seeing as you brought the issue
up) knowing whether ps sees my secret and how to go about finding that
out.

--
Brian.