Re: DEBOOTSTRAP or GRML-DEBOOTSTRAP more suitable?

Could you skip all that and use something like busybox or buildroot?

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018, 3:20 PM Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
On 04/15/2018 12:43 PM, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 15 Apr 2018 at 08:55:45 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
>> I wish to do an _*EXTREMELY*_ minimalist install of Debian to a USB flash
>> drive (aka /dev/sdb1) assuming use as a MBR device.
>>
>> I currently use the i386 flavor of Stretch.
>> My hardware allows choosing to boot from a flash drive.
>>
>> I suspect that if using deboostrap the closest I can come is using
>> "--variant=minbase" which apparently installs apt. My definition of
>> "minimalist" would prefer not to.
>
> I decided to answer this post without equating "idiosyncratic" with
> "bonkers".

ROFL <*GRIN*>
"bonkers" implies "not of sound mind.
"idiosyncratic" explicitly states my assumption that no-one else may
have _exactly_ my goals

> apt is Priority: important. Try removing it from any Debian system.
> For installing, your definition of "minimalist" is of no importance
> or consequence.

To you, likely <chuckle>.
BTW, you just reminded me that apt has a "purge" command.
If  DEBOOTSTRAP / GRML-DEBOOTSTRAP installs "cruft", that could be useful.
Might even attempt using apt to remove itself ;/

Suggested reading:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkg_basics.en supports
my contention that only "Priority: Required" packages are absolutely
necessary.

It states (in part):
> Systems with only the Required packages are probably unusable, but they
> do have enough functionality to allow the sysadmin to boot
> and install more software.

<chuckle>

>> For my definitely idiosyncratic purposes *absolutely NOTHING* but grub
>> related tools will _ever_ be run from this device.
>>
>> What are the trade-offs of choosing between debootstrap and grml-debootstap?
>> I understand that either way I have some reading to do ;/
>
> Does this relate to your suspicions? Or, is it an unrelated question?

It *IS* the question.
Is there a difference in capability between DEBOOTSTRAP and
GRML-DEBOOTSTRAP?
Or is it *ONLY* a difference of perceived convenience which will differ
between individuals and/or projects?