Re: changing local domain name

On Fri 13 Apr 2018 at 12:53:21 (-0000), Dan Purgert wrote:

> rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> >>
> >> Even us native English speakers have trouble understanding what point
> >> he's trying to maks :)
> >
> > +1--- not only because he (David) quotes too much--he (David) could do
> > with some strategic snipping of the quoted material.
>
> Honestly, my trouble parsing his posts is that the questions aren't
> "correct" (or perhaps they're just too subtle for my comprehension) --
> leading to several rounds of miscommunication.

Well, here's a chance to correct my questioning. In
the OP wanted to change the name of the domain of their computer from
.local to .home. They wrote "It's not just domainname and /etc/hosts.
It's every frigging where."

As usual, the thread drifted into other areas; someone suggested
looking at the wiki https://wiki.debian.org/HowTo/ChangeHostname
but hostnames weren't the issue, just the domain's name.

After asking the question "Where is this 'every frigging where?'"
I'm told to do a recursive grep. Not exactly an answer to that question.

I listed the places where *I* could find the domain name corp on
a computer here (I assume you could understand that). I did a
recursive search of /etc and /var and eliminated the strings
[a-z0-9]corp and corp[a-z0-9].

In short, there were three significant files.
/etc/hosts /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf /etc/mailname

Is that 'every frigging where'?

Cheers,
David.