Re: SSD's and many edits of a single file

On Tuesday 10 April 2018 07:08:03 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 06:49:54AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 April 2018 03:52:55 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > The most typical symptom [of a failed write due to storage
> > > failure] would be that the file system gets remounted
> > > read-only because of write errors. And you tend to notice that.
> >
> > Does the mount command report that? It did not.
>
> If your logs are writable (because they are on a separate file
> system, or because they are remote),

They are neither.

> you'd see that there. If
> not (because you have only one file system), you're bound to
> notice that anyway, because many applications are going to freak
> out on a failed write (*all* writes fail once the file system
> is read-only).

No such clues were evident.

> Cheers
> -- tomás

What good does it do to partition an SSD? Because of the wear leveling,
if it goes read-only, I expect the whole thing is read-only.  Including
swap I expect.

I rest my case with this thread, geany apparently is not taking care of
its housekeeping and is running out of whatever is allocated to do the
disk write, its the only conclusion that makes sense so far. There's a
name for it, but oldtimers is at work here too. Dammit.

I'll change my default lcnc editor to nano --smooth, which gets rid of my
scrolling complaint.  And see if it happens again. That will also tend
to prevent my leaving it open forever if launched from lcnc as thats
single-threaded. Either editor launched as a fresh action will probably
solve the problem.

Haveing fresh input from different angles helps my ancient wet ram,
thanks Thomas.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)