Re: Help needed with home network configuration

Celejar wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 10:00:31 -0000 (UTC)
> Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
>
>> Celejar wrote:

>> > I'm not using the Buffalo to provide wireless connectivity to any
>> > clients. The page I linked to does have instructions for doing that,
>> > but I don't need it.
>>
>> Good deal.  Using the buffalo as a wifi repeater would kill throughput
>> for everything connected to it :)
>
> Yes, I did have that impression. I even worry about whether its
> repeating function is hurting wifi for everything on the 2.4 GHz band,
> even those connecting to the TP-Link, but I really don't have much on
> 2.4 to begin with, just a couple of legacy devices (printer, old
> Android phone) that don't support 5 GHz and aren't using much bandwidth.

Pretty much it boils down to "repeaters" ... well, repeat.  The smarter
ones these days (i.e. not linksys,etc) *MAY* only repeat when they have
a connected client.

Otherwise it's "Rx a frame [from the AP], Tx that frame". In effect,
this will halve the throughput capacity of your WLAN (on that channel /
frequency, anyway).

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947