Re: how do i tell usb to leave keyboard alone?

On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 14:38:53 -0400 songbird said:

>   i have an USB keyboard, which once in a while goes
> useless.  it is a fairly new device and should not be
> defective, but i'm not sure how to tell if this is a
> problem from the device or from the kernel or ?
>
>   i do not have a scanner installed.  no idea why
> colord-sane process is there at all.  i would be
> happy to get rid of that message somehow as it might
> be related.
>
>   i do have cups and USB printer installed but it
> has not been a problem at all.
>
>   just for some reason my system is picking on USB
> keyboard.

colord-sane seems to be related to some printer utilities ("sane" =
scanner support)

I would have gone like...

~$ locate colord-sane		# needs mlocate package
/usr/lib/colord/colord-sane

~$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/colord/colord-sane
colord: /usr/lib/colord/colord-sane

So colord-sane is installed as part of colord package.

~$ apt-cache --installed rdepends colord
colord
Reverse Depends:
  cups-daemon
  cups
  cups-filters
  cups-filters
  cups-daemon
  cups
  colord-data
  colord-data
  libcolord2
  cups
  cups-filters
  cups-daemon

It is a cups *recommendation*, so you can uninstall it while holding on
to cups.

~# apt-get remove colord

However, if your printer can also work as scanner, then you may
actually need colord-sane in the future. So, instead of removing
colord, it is probably a better practice to disable colord-sane service
to see if it makes any difference. If it does, then you may debug why
colord-sane is stepping over the keyboard.

Regards
--
Abdullah Ramazanoglu