Re: tcp_probe module missing

Ireneusz Szcześniak wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running an up-to-date Debian Stretch on an AMD64 computer.  I
> would like to use the tcpprobe module, and so I'm trying to do:
>
> sudo modprobe tcp_probe
>
> But I get:
>
> modprobe: FATAL: Module tcp_probe not found in directory ...
>
> Why is this module missing?
>
> Is there a quick way of getting it?
>

> Thanks & best,
> Irek

Because you normally don't use it (99.99%). It is part of testing utility
and flagged with "use with caution".

If you are asking here, I doubt that you are qualified to use it. You can
however rebuild the kernel after enabling this module from "Network
testing".

 Symbol: NET_TCPPROBE [=n]
│
  │ Type  : tristate
│
  │ Prompt: TCP connection probing
│
  │   Location:
│
  │     -> Networking support (NET [=y])
│
  │       -> Networking options
│
  │ (1)     -> Network testing
│
  │   Defined at net/Kconfig:339
│
  │   Depends on: NET [=y] && INET [=y] && PROC_FS [=y] && KPROBES [=n]

CONFIG_NET_PKTGEN:
│
  │
│
  │ This module will inject preconfigured packets, at a configurable
│
  │ rate, out of a given interface.  It is used for network interface
│
  │ stress testing and performance analysis.  If you don't understand
│
  │ what was just said, you don't need it: say N.
│
  │
│
  │ Documentation on how to use the packet generator can be found
│
  │ at <file:Documentation/networking/pktgen.txt>.
│
  │
│
  │ To compile this code as a module, choose M here: the
│
  │ module will be called pktgen.
│
  │
│
  │ Symbol: NET_PKTGEN [=n]
│
  │ Type  : tristate
│
  │ Prompt: Packet Generator (USE WITH CAUTION)
│
  │   Location:
│
  │     -> Networking support (NET [=y])
│
  │       -> Networking options
│
  │         -> Network testing
│
  │   Defined at net/Kconfig:324
│
  │   Depends on: NET [=y] && INET [=y] && PROC_FS [=y]