Re: Invalid UTF-8 byte? (was: Re: utf)

On Tuesday, April 03, 2018 08:30:04 AM Greg Wooledge wrote:
> WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO?

I am building (have built several iterations) of a free format database to
work something like askSam.  It is a mashup of several applications, things
like recol, kmail, nail, kate and the data is stored in mbox formatted files.

Each record is treated as an email.

(Earlier iterations of the mashup used nedit, some nedit macros, and a custome
file format using a 4 byte sequence (0x80 0x81 0x82 0x83) as the record
separator.)

I occasionally want to sort the data in order by what I call the record title,
which is stored in quotation marks ("") after the "From" in the mbox header.

I have seen some utilities that might sort the mbox files, but may require that
I somehow move them into IMAP or some other manipulations that might be
inconvenient.

msort was mentioned on this list within the last few months and might do the
job for me if I can insert a temporary one byte record separator into the file
(in addition to the mbox From line).

Most likely this would be only a temporary addition, and I would need to do
things like make sure that one byte will be unique in the file.  It sounds like
there are at least a few candidates.