Re: What is the universal (world wide) understanding behind degaussing harddisks?

On 03/04/18 02:08, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
Also, the ATA enhanced erase is, as far as I know, the best option for
wiping an SSD.

+1. It may also erase things like reserved space and bad blocks that are not visible via the block device and thus immune to shred.

ATA security erase is the facility provided by the manufacturer and I would tend to take their advice on how to securely erase their product. This should be sufficient for all commercial users. Paranoid national security users will require pulverisation of the physical media.

My preferred approach is to encrypt all content (e.g. LUKS) before writing to any media, to provide an additional layer of protection.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director