Re: how do you send mail to another user on a local debian machine

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 9:05 PM, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> Dan Hitt [2018-03-29 13:50:54-07] wrote:
>
>> In emacs, i tried the address otheruser@host, otheruser,
>> otheruser@localhost, otheruser@host.local
>>
>> Here, 'host' is to stand for the hostname of my box, stripped of any
>> domain information.
>>
>> In all four cases, it opened a new tab in my firefox browser, showing
>> gmail, with the message loaded, and the 'To' field populated.  (In the
>> case of otheruser, it was underlined in red.)
>
> (Sorry for not having read previous messages the the thread.)
>
> Emacs has different ways to send mail and that's configured with
> variable send-mail-function or message-send-mail-function (if you use
> message-mode for composing mail).
>
> It seems to me that you want to use locally installed sendmail program
> (or compatible) for sending mail so you would configure Emacs like this:
>
>     (setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
>
> --
> /// Teemu Likonen   - .-..   <https://keybase.io/tlikonen> //
> // PGP: 4E10 55DC 84E9 DFF6 13D7 8557 719D 69D3 2453 9450 ///

Thanks Teemu.

That actually works.

The variable name message-send-mail-function is similar to
send-mail-function, which David had suggested i investigate and deal
with.  However, send-mail-function seems to be set up in some part of
my .emacs.d/init.el that i did not write (part of
custom-set-variables, and it has a warning to be careful when
modifying it by hand).  So i didn't pursue send-mail-function.

However, message-send-mail-function is not mentioned in my
.emacs.d/init.el, so i suppose i should be more relaxed about it (??).

Anyhow, it works, and this seems to be a complete solution to my problem.

Thanks again!

(And thanks everybody else for all the ideas and suggestions, which
are all educational and useful.)

dan